In August 2008, Worldwide Aircraft Recovery, the company that has moved several aircraft for us, once again made it look easy. They disassembled the plane in Fargo North Dakota and trucked it to their headquarters in Nebraska, conveniently located near Offutt AFB. The 512th Airlift Wing (the Reserve Wing here at Dover) picked the plane up as part of a training mission for new loadmasters and brought it home. Our restoration crew had the aircraft ready for display before the 2009 Dover AFB Air Show and Open House.
The Douglas A-26 was a World War II attack aircraft used for level bombing, ground strafing and rocket attacks. It made its first flight in July 1942, and production delivery began in August 1943. The A-26 entered combat over Europe in November 1944. By the time production halted after the end of WWII, 2,502 Invaders had been built.
The A-26 was redesignated the B-26 in 1948 (thus creating everlasting confusion with the WWII Martin B-26 Marauder). During the Korean War, the B-26 became an important part of the USAF interdiction campaign against communist ground forces. Initially B-26 crews flew during the day, but the introduction of the MiG-15 jet fighter forced them to fly most missions at night.
Early in the Southeast Asia War, the Invader went into action for the third time. Also, the USAF ordered 40 modified B-26Bs with more powerful engines and increased structural strength. Designated the B-26K, the airplanes performed special air warfare missions.