In 1948, in response to a perceived threat to its power in Germany after the end of WWII, the Soviet Union blocked rail, road, and waterways between Berlin and West Germany. With the blockade came dire shortages of food, fuel, medical supplies, machinery and parts. In June of 1948, the U.S. and its Allies began to supply the city by air, which came to be called the Berlin Airlift. For over a year, this humanitarian airlift kept life going in Berlin.
Learn about the strategic airlift and its people and planes that saved a city through photos, text, and artifacts.
Don't miss the special tribute to Lt. Gail Halvorsen, known as the Candy Bomber, who wanted to supply Berlin's children with a little happiness in the form of candy bars.
Although parked outside, the C-54M aircraft is also a part of the Berlin Airlift exhibit. This cargo plane was modified to haul coal during the airlift. It is the last C-54M in existence--the M denoting the special modifications made to the plane's floor so it could handle the weight of the coal.