After serving in Vietnam, the museum's Provider went on to further distinguished service. After retirement from the US Air Force, it was picked-up by the Department of State and was instrumental in the war on drugs in Peru. Moving food and medical supplies, building material, fuel and whatever else was needed to support the forward bases, the plane took hostile fire on several occasions and was instrumental, also, in transporting casualties to help and safety. Because of its unique capabilities as a cargo transport plane, and its ability to use unimproved landing strips in remote regions, the Peruvians nicknamed this plane "El Burro."
The Provider is a short-range assault transport used to airlift troops and cargo onto short runways and unprepared airstrips. Designed by the Chase Aircraft Co., the C-123 evolved from earlier designs for large assault gliders. The first prototype XC-123 made its initial flight on October 14, 1949, powered by two piston engines. A second prototype was built as the XG-20 glider. It was later test-flown, powered by four jet engines. The production version, with two piston engines, was designated the C-123B. Chase began manufacture in 1953, but the production contract was transferred to Fairchild. The first of more than 300 Fairchild-built C-123Bs entered service in July 1955. Between 1966 and 1969, 184 C-123Bs were converted to C-123Ks by adding two J85 jet engines for improved performance.
|Apr 1956||To 513th Troop Carrier Squadron, Assault (Tactical Air Command), Stewart AFB, TN|
|Jul 1958||To 346th Tactical Airlift Squadron (TAC), Pope AFB, NC|
|Dec 1961||To 464th Tactical Airlift Wing (TAC), Pope AFB, NC|
|Jul 1963||To 2nd Air Division HQ (Pacific Air Forces), DaNang AB, South Vietnam|
|Oct 1965||To 377th Combat Support Group (PAF), Tan Son Nhut AB, South Vietnam|
|Sep 1966||To 35th Tactical Fighter Wing (PAF), DaNang AB, South Vietnam|
|Jul 1967||To 315th Air Commando Wing (PAF), Phan Rang AB, South Vietnam|
|Jul 1968||To 315th Air Commando Wing (PAF), Bein Hoa AB, South Vietnam|
|May 1970||To 24th Special Operations Wing (Southern Air Command), Howard AFB, Panama|
|Nov 1971||To 906th Tactical Airlift Group (Air Force Reserve), Lockbounre AFB, OH|
|Jun 1975||To 356th Tactical Airlift Squadron (AFR), Lockbourne AFB, OH|
|Jan 1976||To 355th Tactical Airlift Squadron (AFR), Rickenbacker AFB, OH|
|Jul 1987||To Military Aircraft Storage Center (Air Force Logistics Command), Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ|
|Apr 1987||Disposition by transfer to US State Department|