Exhibits and Planes

The WACO CG-4A Glider was the most widely used troop/cargo glider of World War II. These were used in the invasions of Sicily and Normandy, and for crossing the Rhine at Arnhem. Gliders were also used to supply remote bases in China and Burma. Although nearly 14,000 were built, less than a dozen remain in the world today. It is one of only two aircraft of this type owned by the USAF. The cockpit of the glider has been completely restored.

Mission

Considered to be very suitable as a troop/cargo glider, the CG-4A could carry 13 troops, or cargo loads that could include a Jeep with a crew of four plus equipment, or a 75mm howitzer with its guncrew of three, ammunition, and supplies. The first examples of the CG-4A began to enter service with the US Army Air Corps during 1942, with production reaching its peak in 1942-43. CG-4As were used in the invasion of Sicily, Chindit actions in Burma, the invasion of Normandy and southern France, at Arnhem, and during the Rhine crossings. They were also used by the RAF, but only operationally at Sicily. The CG-4 Hadrian Glider was the most widely used Troop/Cargo glider of World War II. These were used in the invasions of Sicily and Normandy, and for crossing the Rhine at Arnhem. Gliders were also used to supply remote bases in China and Burma. Although nearly 14,000 were built, less than a dozen remain in the world today. It is one of only two aircraft of this type owned by the USAF.

Assignment History

CG-4A — S/N: 45-15009
Aug 1945 To 4820th AAF Base Unit (Specialized Depot Fairfeild Air Technical Service Command), South Bend, IN
Sep 1945 To 4831st AAF Base Unit (SD, FATSC), Parcel Supply Depot, Shelby, OH
Jan 1946 Declared excess
Jul 1946 To War Assets Administration and disposed as salvage

Have additional information?