During WWII the military bought or impressed into service all kinds of transport aircraft that could be useful. Lockheed Lodestars were smaller and faster than the Douglas DC-3 aircraft that had become the industry standard. The USAAF commandeered over fifty early model Lodestars under the designations C-56, -57 and -59 but the definitive military Lodestar was the C-60 of which over 350 were purpose built.
Most Lodestars were used for crew training, moving freight and VIP passengers and for paratroop training. As a fast medium-range transport they served adequately well, but most were retired from military service before the end of the war. Afterwards, many were converted and became plush civilian executive transports.
Our aircraft served in the USAAF at bases in Alabama from March 1943 until February 1945. It was sold to Capitol Airways in 1946 and converted to become an executive transport in 1958. In 1990 it was acquired by the USAF Heritage program and placed on display at the Museum of Aviation at Robins AFB, GA. In 2014 it was transferred to the AMC Museum.