The AMC Museum is proud to be home to a number of especially significant vintage aircraft. All of the museum’s aircraft are relevant to our American heritage, but the following planes stand out as historically important.
The museum's C-5A Galaxy, serial number 69-0014, was the first and only aircraft in history that launched an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) in flight. In October 1974, 69-0014 air dropped an 86,000-lb ICBM from 20,000 feet over the Pacific Ocean to add one more option to the strategic missile inventory of the United States. In 1973, 69-0014 was the first factory new C-5A assigned to Dover AFB, Delaware, and on 20 October 2013 it retired to the AMC Museum marking the first time a C-5 was retired to a museum.
The museum's C-141A Starlifter, serial number 61-2775, was the first of 284 C-141s manufactured. It first flew on 17 December 1963, 60 years to the day from the Wright Brothers first flight. It was the first jet aircraft specifically designed as a cargo plane. It is one of only two remaining A models and the only known four-engine jet used to tow a glider. It was also used by NASA to test different space shuttle launch options.
The museum's C-141B Starlifter, serial number 64-0626, was the very last C-141 stationed at Dover AFB, Delaware, retiring in February 1996. After leaving Dover AFB it was transferred to McGuire AFB, New Jersey. A crack in the main landing gear trunnion was discovered when it passed through Dover AFB on a mission and it was retired in place and transferred to the museum.
The museum's C-9A Nightingale, serial number 67-22584, was the first C-9 accepted for the Military Airlift Command. The C-9s were the first purpose-built aeromedical evacuation aircraft in the U.S. Air Force. This C-9 served for 37 years before being retired in 2005.
The museum's VC-9C, serial number 73-1682, was the first to be Air Force Two. It was the first VC-9 configured with a special radio communications package so it could serve as Air Force One or Two, although usually it served as Air Force Two or for transport of America's First Ladies and other dignitaries.
The museum's C-133B Cargomaster, serial number 59-536, was the last of 50 C-133s built in 1961 and retired in 1971 when it was replaced by the C-5A Galaxy. It is the largest turbo-prop aircraft in the U.S. powered by the largest turbo-prop engines ever built, the Pratt & Whitney T-34.
The museum's B-17G Flying Fortress, serial number 44-83624, was the last to drop bombs. While assigned to Eglin AFB, Florida, in a test squadron in the late 1950s it was used to drop bombs during public airpower demonstrations to compare it with modern bombers. It is also the only surviving veteran of the 1948 Flying Bomb Project as a MB-17G, where it was used as a remote controlled aircraft flying bombs.
The museum's KC-135E Stratotanker, serial number 57-1507, was the first all jet tanker assigned to the Air National Guard (ANG) in April 1975. While assigned to the 108th Air Refueling Wing, New Jersey ANG, it flew the last operational mission for any KC-135E on 14 July 2009.
The museum's C-54M Skymaster, serial number 44-9030, is the only surviving M model Skymaster. It was one of 38 aircraft that was specially modified to haul coal during the Berlin Airlift. It served in the Pacific during World War II (WWII) and was retired in 1973. It then served as a ground trainer at the FBI Training Academy in the Sky Marshal program. It has been restored to its original WWII markings.
The museum's C-124A Globemaster II, serial number 49-0258, is the only surviving A model Globemaster II, making it also the oldest C-124 in the world. It was assigned to the Strategic Air Command (SAC), the Tactical Air Command, (TAC), the Military Air Transport Service (MATS) and the Air Force Reserve (AFRES) during its long career. To our knowledge no other type of cargo aircraft served in all four of these commands.
The museum's F-106A Delta Dart, serial number 59-0023, is the only surviving F-106 Delta Dart that was actually stationed at Dover AFB. More than 300 F-106s were built for air defense of the U.S.. The 95th Fighter Interceptor Squadron at Dover AFB flew 16 aircraft from 1963 to 1973 including serial number 59-0023. It was transferred to the New Jersey Air National Guard in 1973 and retired in 1978 to become one of over 200 flying target drones. This aircraft is one of six that survived the program.
The museum's C-45G Expeditor, serial number 51-11795, was the first C-45 (Beech 18) obtained by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). It was used to transport agents in Southeast Asia from 1960 to 1974. Originally built in 1943 as an AT-11 Trainer, it was then rebuilt in 1952 as a C-45G and then turned over to the CIA in 1958 with civilian registration N7950C.