The Military Airlift Command (MAC) began in 1942 as the Air Transport Command (ATC) and in 1948 was redesignated the Military Air Transport Service (MATS). In 1966 the newly created MAC became the primary strategic airlift organization of the U.S. Air Force headquartered at Scott AFB, Illinois.
Today the Air Mobility Command (AMC), established in 1992 from elements of MAC and the Strategic Air Command (SAC), continues its mission of providing global air mobility.
The MAC emblem on this patch incorporates the globe of MAT’s emblem, MAC’s predecessor.
Question about this artifact? Email the Collections Manager, Hal Sellars.
Every artifact in the Air Mobility Command Museum, including this one, is part of the United States Air Force Heritage Program. We are not able to loan artifacts in the museum's collection.