There was a period of time from 1945-1952 when WWII’s U.S. Army Air Force was transitioning to the U.S. Air Force. It was also a time for big changes in military uniforms. During this time many new air force personnel still wore army olive drab uniforms with gold buttons while the new blue uniforms with silver buttons were being phased in. The design of the new air force buttons were manufactured in gold to be used with existing army uniforms during this time of transition. N.S. Meyer, Inc., a long-time manufacturer of military insignia, made this small box of ten buttons. There are four large and six small buttons and were sold at Sheppard AFB, Texas, for $2.60.
Question about this artifact? Email the Collections Manager, Hal Sellars.
Every artifact in the Air Mobility Command Museum, including this one, is part of the United States Air Force Heritage Program. We are not able to loan artifacts in the museum's collection.